Wittington Properties Limited and Choice Properties REIT have announced plans for a historic redevelopment of the original Loblaw Groceterias Warehouse at Lake Shore Blvd. W. and Bathurst St. in Toronto.
The building traces its roots to 1928, when the then-relatively new grocery chain decided to build (for the time) a state-of-the-art warehouse and head office on the site.
The developers said in a news release the historic building will be rejuvenated to offer seven storeys totalling approximately 245,000 sq. ft. of gross leasable area for retail and office space, including a 50,000 sq. ft. Loblaws Great food store.
Developer Concord Adex has entered into an agreement to acquire the air rights and will be constructing the residential component of the project, which includes two residential condominium towers of 37 and 41 storeys that will contain a total of 876 dwelling units with a residential gross floor area of approximately 575,000 sq. ft.
“We’re delighted to partner with Concord Adex on the historic West Block redevelopment,” said Wittington Properties president Tony Grossi. “West Block marks Concord Adex’s third project on Wittington lands, our partnership will bring greater value to this iconic site by combining a long history with a shared vision for the future.”
“As community builders, we are proud to join with Choice Properties and Wittington Properties to transform West Block into a place where Toronto’s history becomes its future,” Terry Hui, Chief Executive Officer of Concord Pacific Group of Companies, the parent company of Concord Adex, said in the statement “I am confident the renewal of this landmark site will establish West Block as a destination of choice for Torontonians and will be embraced by the neighbouring Concord Cityplace community.”
West Block Quick Facts:
- Property spans an entire city block, consisting of approximately 3.5 acres of land;
- The seven storey commercial building will be approximately 245,000 square feet of gross leasable area, fronting onto Lake Shore Boulevard West;
- The commercial building will include a 50,000 square foot Loblaws Great food store, complementary retail and office space;
- Concord Adex, which has entered into an agreement to acquire the air rights to the property, will be constructing two residential towers which will be 37 and 41 storeys in height, containing 876 dwelling units in total with a residential gross floor area of approximately 575,000 square feet;
- Under the Gardiner Expressway, a common space will showcase the culture and vibrancy of Toronto through a display of public art;
- Three levels of underground parking is proposed with a total of approximately 600 parking spaces;
- West Block is projected to open by Spring 2019;
Loblaws left the site in the 1970s, and it was used until 2000 as a food bank distribution centre. It has been vacant since then, and was declared a heritage site in 2001.
For more information, please visit www.westblock.com.